Breasts are keenly tied to a woman’s body image and sense of femininity. While their primary function is to produce nourishment for infants, their role in a woman’s self esteem and sense of attractiveness cannot be overlooked. This explains why procedures such as breast augmentation, breast lift and breast reduction are so prevalent.
While the appearance of the breasts garners a lot of focus and attention, maintaining the health of the breasts is an important subject that deserves considerable airtime. In honour of Breast Cancer Awareness month, Oakville Plastic Surgery and Advanced Skincare is dedicating this post to educating Oakville patients on what to know about breast health.
Breast Health Tips
- Breast cancer is the most common cancer among Canadian women. About 1 in 9 Canadian women will develop breast cancer at some point in their lifetime.
- There are 14 different types of breast cancer.
- Mammograms should be performed annually over the age of 40.
- Breast cancer risk increases with age.
- A breast self-examination should be performed monthly for early detection.
Although the incidence of breast cancer is high, there is also a high survival rate when diagnosed and treated early. Regular monthly self-examinations and routine mammograms improve the chance of early detection.
What are the symptoms of breast cancer?
Breast cancer symptoms vary widely and can include lumps, swelling, and changes to the skin or the appearance of the breast(s). Breast cancer can begin in different areas of the breast such as the ducts, the lobules, or in some cases, the tissue in between.
- At times, non-cancerous conditions like an infection or a cyst can exhibit the same symptoms as breast cancer.
- Many breast cancers have no obvious symptoms at all.
The process of breast cancer diagnosis can take several weeks and involves many different kinds of tests. This wait time can be stressful, but with proper diagnosis and a full picture of your breast health, an ideal treatment plan can be established.
The importance of understanding breast health and how to monitor your breasts for early breast cancer detection cannot be overemphasized. As a centre for breast reconstruction surgery, Oakville Plastic Surgery and Advanced Skincare takes a special interest in empowering and educating women on this subject and advocating for their best care should they be faced with a breast cancer diagnosis. To learn more about your options for breast reconstruction, we welcome you to visit us for a professional consultation. Call 905.901.9545 or email email@example.com to arrange an appointment.