CoolSculpting® vs. Liposuction: What’s Right For Me?
Concerned about excess fat? If you’re looking for a solution, you might feel overwhelmed by the wealth of information online. From fat-freezing to surgical options, we’re living in a time of numerous solutions when it comes to fatty tissue. But not every solution is right for you. As a team of skilled practitioners with decades of experience, we love helping our patients find the right treatments or procedures to meet their goals. So let’s talk about fat, and explore the best solution for you.
What kind of fat concerns warrant treatment?
The choice to have a cosmetic treatment, procedure, or surgery is incredibly personal. Your beauty and body are unique, and having fat on your body is natural.
Fat fuels us; it gives us energy, keeps us warm, and protects our bodies. It’s part of many remarkable systems our bodies have. But if you have consistent concerns about fat that can’t be remedied with exercise or a healthy lifestyle, you might want to look into treatments and procedures. Some fat gets in the way of our body moving and functioning in a way that’s comfortable and confident, while other pockets of fat distract from our true beauty. Common areas of treatment include submental fat (double chin), thighs and flanks, upper arms, and tummy.
How can I get rid of stubborn fat?
Our Oakville clinic offers a variety of surgical procedures and innovative non-surgical treatments like BELKYRA™, CoolSculpting® and liposuction. Not every fat treatment works for everyone; so understanding what each treatment does can help inform a smart decision. Let’s explore!
Why choose CoolSculpting® for fat removal?
CoolSculpting is a quick, non-surgical option to freeze away stubborn fat. Our CoolSculpting specialists understand how to get the best results from each treatment. Here are some of the benefits that our patients enjoy with CoolSculpting:
- No incisions or needles needed. CoolSculpting uses cooling to freeze and crystalize fat cells without surgery.
- CoolSculpting uses your body’s natural processes. Fat cells are naturally absorbed by the body once they’re frozen.
- Quick treatments without extensive downtime. CoolSculpting is based on the science of cryolipolysis; the procedure is non- invasive and doesn’t require anesthesia or have any downtime – so it fits easily into a busy schedule. Patients can even rest, read or watch their favourite show during the treatment.
- No harm to surrounding tissue. Since fat freezes at a different temperature than muscle or delicate tissue does, your CoolSculpting effort can target fat with focus –– without harming the surrounding tissue or muscle.
How long does it take to see CoolSculpting results?
It typically takes about 4 weeks to see initial improvements following treatment. The full results should become noticeable after 2-3 months. Most patients can expect to see approximately a 25-30% reduction of fat in just one session, so depending on the area being treated, and your treatment goals, follow-up visits may be required to achieve optimal results.
Is CoolSculpting right for me?
CoolSculpting is great for people who are at their healthy weight, are already living a balanced lifestyle, and are looking to target smaller areas of fat. If you’ve got a busy schedule and have a specific area of fat you’re looking to dissolve, book a consultation to explore the possibilities. CoolSculpting can be an incredibly effective treatment for fat, but it isn’t right for everyone. Some kinds of fat won’t respond well to CoolSculpting, and larger areas of fat might require surgical intervention to make the change you’re dreaming of.
What will I notice after CoolSculpting treatment?
Some swelling, redness and bruising is normal and should subside within a few days after treatment. Multiple treatment cycles may be required; we usually recommend one or two, depending on your treatment goals. You may have to wait 4 weeks to see your initial improvements.
Liposuction vs CoolSculpting®
Liposuction is a surgical solution for fat removal at our Oakville, Ontario clinic. This procedure removes localized deposits of fat through a small vacuum-suction tube inserted under the skin, sculpting the shape for more precise results.
What factors impact whether liposuction is right for me?
Cost, recovery time, and eligibility all factor into whether your surgeon will recommend liposuction or CoolSculpting as a suitable solution for your concerns and goals.
Here’s what you should know about liposuction:
- Liposuction offers immediate results, but you will need some healing time. Recovery depends on your surgery and body type, but most patients are able to resume normal activities within 7-10 days. Expect some bruising, swelling, and temporary numbness following the procedure, with improvement within one week.
- Liposuction is a more dramatic, transformative solution for bigger areas of fat. Surgery can reduce fat by 75%, whereas with CoolSculpting, it’s closer to 25% per session.
What does BELKYRA™ do?
Belkyra is an injectable treatment for submental fullness (also called a double chin). This deoxycholic acid injection dissolves fat cells under the chin for a smoother silhouette. Most patients choose multiple sessions for maximal results, but your consultation is a great place to explore a personal strategy for you. You’ll notice some swelling and bruising after the treatment but results usually start appearing within several weeks. Our Oakville clients like that they can have this treatment without disrupting a busy schedule.
Ready to target stubborn fat?
If you’re considering either procedure, a professional consultation is an important first step. Contact us to schedule your consultation today. Our Oakville Plastic Surgery team would be happy to help you explore your possibilities.
Still curious to learn more first? You can self-educate with our online tools below:
- Check out one of our real patient’s journeys with CoolSculpting to learn the truth about CoolSculpting.
- Some of our staff members have even tried the treatment for themselves, so you can trust that our recommendations and ringing endorsements come from both expertise, and experience.